23 December 2022
NCHA member update – 23 December
- NCHA opening hours over the festive period
- BSO issues statement on wax management services in the UK
- Hearing researchers win award
- NCHA responds to HCPC
- Other sector news
The NCHA will be closed on these bank holidays: 26 and 27 December and 2 January. However, during 28-30 December, we will be on hand to help members with any urgent issues. If you need anything, please email [email protected].
The British Society of Otology (BSO) has issued a statement expressing concern about the UK's lack of access to dewaxing services.
The BSO calls for better access to quality care for people who need support for impacted wax, highlighting that left unaddressed, it can cause other symptoms for patients.
The NCHA supports the BSO message, which is consistent with the NICE guideline on adult hearing loss.
The NCHA, like the BSO, also calls for improved and equitable access to quality dewaxing services across the UK. A call to action supported by the RNID and other sector partners.
We would like to hear from members about their experiences regarding the availability and quality of dewaxing services. Please email [email protected].
Earlier this year, we reported on a new bedside gene testing machine that identifies whether a critically ill baby admitted to intensive care could suffer permanent hearing loss if treated with a standard emergency antibiotic.
The team behind the research has won the New Statesman Positive Impact Healthcare Award 2022. Many congratulations to them. Read more.
Thank you to members who participated in our consultation responses following our last update of 9 December. We have now responded to the HCPC consultations on proposed fee changes and preceptorships. Members can access these and other responses the NCHA has submitted on your behalf during 2022 on the policy submissions page.
- A BSA 2023 scientific meeting will occur on 5 and 6 June at the Birmingham Conference and Events Centre. The event will bring together clinicians and researchers interested in hearing, tinnitus and balance.
- Learn more about the World Hearing Forum task and finish group. You can also express an interest in joining.
- ENT UK will host its first 'Audiology Day' at the 2023 BACO conference. Learn more.
- Dr Elizabeth Adesugba, Darren Glancey, Michael Marchant and Lynne Weatherill have been elected as new BSHAA Council Members.
- HearUSA says it will stock Sony's new over-the-counter hearing aids. Read more.
- RNID interviews actress Pryscilla Monroy García who features in the new Ellie Goulding music video.
- The RNID has shared five ways to be deaf-aware this Christmas.
- Aston University opens a new hearing clinic in partnership with Specsavers.
- John Hopkins research trains community health workers to deliver hearing care to low-income older adults in the USA, with positive results. Read more